When the Joseph Henry Lumpkin School of Law was established at The University of Georgia in 1859, its founders sought to establish a law school "in which facilities for the best legal education would be afforded." This challenge has been well-met by the ensuing generations of legal educators who have shaped the growth and direction of the school.
As it grew, the School of Law at The University of Georgia never lost sight of its historic commitment to provide superior legal education. In a period of significant growth in the mid-1960s, the words of former Georgia governor and law school alumnus Carl E. Sanders were carved in marble at the entrance to the law library as if to reaffirm the school's original charge: "The people of Georgia want and deserve nothing short of the best. The University of Georgia School of Law is, therefore, to be one of such excellence that no citizen of Georgia need ever leave his state because a superior legal education is available elsewhere."
University of Georgia School of Law, "Bulletin 1993-1994" (1993). Other Law School Publications. 139.