In June 1859, Joseph Henry Lumpkin, William Hope Hull, and Thomas R.R. Cobb, under the authority of the University of Georgia's Board of Trustees, issued a printed announcement of the opening session of a law school on October 1 of that year. Law courses had been offered up to that time as one part of the curriculum of the Franklin College, but the reorganization plan unveiled called for the establishment of a law school with a faculty of three. The law professors would be unsalaried and were to be compensated from tuition collected. The School of Law was formally created a few months later when the Georgia General Assembly enacted its charter on December 18, 1859.
Ellington, C. Ronald, "Georgia's Historic Law Schools -- Part II: University of Georgia - History of the University of Georgia School of Law" (1990). Popular Media. 80.