Courses in law were first offered at the University in 1843 and the School of Law of The University of Georgia was established in 1859. The Honorable Joseph Henry Lumpkin, a distinguished lawyer, who later became the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, was elected the first professor of law.
The School of Law is a member of the Association of American Law Schools, an organization of the leading law schools of the country. The American Bar Association has approved the quality of its work. The School has also been approved by the Board of Regents of the State of New York so that its graduates are eligible to take the bar examination in that state as in other states.
University of Georgia School of Law, "Bulletin 1950-1951" (1950). Other Law School Publications. 145.